Bledsoe Funeral Home Inc began serving the community on May 18, 1941 at its current location, 256 Middleton Street, Jackson, TN. Mr. Charles L Bledsoe, now deceased, was the founder of Bledsoe Funeral Home. He maintained active leadership until his health failed in 1977.
As a high school student, he worked part-time at the now defunct L. G. Murray Funeral Home, the first organized black funeral home in Jackson, TN. While working at L. G. Murray Funeral Home, Charles developed a genuine interest in the field of Mortuary Science and later pursued this as a career. He received a degree in Mortuary Science from Worsham College of Mortuary Science of Chicago and went on to successfully complete his apprenticeship before returning to Jackson, TN. Upon returning to Jackson, Charles chose to use his skills in a position at Mack J. Stephenson Funeral Home before deciding to open his own establishment, Bledsoe Funeral Home, on May 18, 1941.
From 1967 to 1968, Bledsoe Funeral Home served in a most noteworthy capacity as ambulance services provider for the City of Jackson. At that time, the Ambulance Authority, now owned by the City of Jackson and Madison County, was nonexistent and Mr. Bledsoe saw this as a need in his community and presented his firm to offer this service.
Charles' son, Bruce E. Bledsoe, joined the family business in 1968. He too worked part-time in a funeral home during his high school years and continued to do so while matriculating at Lane College to receive his Bachelor's degree.
Bruce furthered his education by receiving his degree in Mortuary Science from Worsham College of Mortuary Science of Chicago. He served his apprenticeship with his father and became a full -time employee of the family business, Bledsoe Funeral Home.
As the family business began to expand, the Bledsoe Funeral Home incorporated in 1973. Charles Bledsoe served as President and Bruce Bledsoe served as Vice President. Two years later, a new building was erected on the original site at 256 Middleton. Charles's health began to fail him shortly after establishing the new building and passed on in 1978. Bruce, now as President and Director of Operations, was left with the charge of continuing the family tradition of providing quality service at affordable prices to the residents of our community. Through Bruce's insight, vision, and planning, Parkway Memorial Gardens, another division of Bledsoe Funeral Home Inc., was established in 1986.
CONTINUING THE LEGACY
Continuing the family tradition, Bruce's son Sean Bledsoe was brought into the family business. Sean gained knowledge and expertise by working with his father and grandfather. Upon receiving his degree in Mortuary Science from John Gupton College, Sean became the principal embalmer and funeral director. With the passing of Bruce Bledsoe in early 2010, Sean Bledsoe is now the President and Director of Operations. Bledsoe Funeral Home Inc. has been serving the community for almost 70 years and is very grateful for all the efforts of its past and present employees and patrons. Bledsoe Funeral Home Inc. plans to remain a compassionate contributor to the community by serving its constituents in the area of professional funeral services. By continuing the tradition established by three generations of commitment to excellence, Bledsoe Funeral Home Inc. provides affordable, efficient funeral services using the latest methodologies to meet and exceed the expectations of its clients.
The Bledsoe Funeral Home has been striving to satisfy the most discriminating taste since 1941.